Saturday, August 25, 2007

Plain folks

Maybe the Amish have it right. Wouldn't it just be better to stop spending so much time worried about the dollar and just make a pie instead? Granted, there are a lot of things that I would miss, like electricity, but if it just came down to it, I could do with out it.

I have cooked full meals for 15 men over an open camp fire back when we were doing the Civil War reenacting. I have even cooked full meals on the top of a fireplace insert when the power would go out as a kid. You just have to watch it a little more closely.

Even when the power has gone out since I have been married, I still have a charcoal grill. I could, in a pinch, use wood and a skillet on that. Although, I can't help but remember the time when the kids were small and the power went out. We cooked hot dogs over a candle for dinner. It was fun, and silly, and kinda weird, but they will remember it for the rest of their lives.

I think most of us would just panic if basic services were to go down. Look what happens every time NY has a black out. When ours goes out, my husband begins to pace the house, waiting for his computer to come back on.

We have lost the ability to just be still. Maybe we should try to get it back.

No comments:

google search

Custom Search

dream weaver stats
4OfficeCoupons