Sunday, April 20, 2008

The New Solar

I have a friend that is interested in solar power for his house. He did a lot of research on it back in the early '90's but decided that it was more expensive than he could afford at the time, so he kinda just let it go.

I have been doing a lot of research on it myself in the last year or so and was actually surprised by the quality of products being produced these days. The technology has advanced to the point where it is almost a viable option for some applications and the price is getting a lot more reasonable as well.

I knew that he was interested in it, so I sent him some of the pages that I found about the emerging tech of PV energy. He didn't understand most of it since when he did his research, it was still just very basic. I explained about the grid tie systems available now and that the panels were a lot smaller, lighter, and more efficient. He was becoming interested again.

But he has a problem. He will not adjust is standard of living in the slightest to make the switch. He refuses to give up his air conditioning set at 75 all summer or the need for more efficient appliances. He thinks that he just can't live without his massive water cooled computer with the 4 fans that is running 24/7 or all of his electronic toys.

I tried to explain to him that I cut our electric bill by 25% just by changing to CFLs and using a clothesline to dry our clothes. Not interested. Too much hassle. Personally, I think the real reason is that he lives in a neighborhood with a strict homeowners association. And he doesn't want to be different and get fined for it.

It is bad enough that he has the "neighbor from hell" that complains about his dogs and his boat in the driveway, and his truck on the street, or whatever, but he has the only house on the street without a sodded yard, so they complain about that too. Any thing to be knitpicky about.

He always wants the newest and biggest and best of everything he buys. But he will not give up anything to have it. To me, that is just plain crazy. 25% off of a $300 electric bill just for putting up 2 sticks and some string and changing a few lightbulbs. I guess having "stuff" is more important to him than saving money and the environment.

No comments:

google search

Custom Search

dream weaver stats
4OfficeCoupons