Sunday, June 22, 2008

Farm market

Well, I have been busy the last couple of days. On Saturday, my husband and I took a little trip to a local farm to buy some produce. We followed the directions on their website and after the seemingly longest 11 miles, finally arrived.

They had some of the largest tomatoes I have seen in a good long while. And for $1 a pound, we got ...well, alot. Something like 20 pounds. Maybe more, I don't know. It was a box full. We also got some new potatoes for 80 cents a pound. So how ever much $11 worth was. Some squash, peppers, and a cabbage the size of a basketball. All in all, 2 big produce boxes full of stuff. I was happy.

So I set to making stuff. Yesterday, I made some spaghetti sauce. Today, after picking my daughter up from Governor's School, I made ketchup. Hehe. Cost effective? Nope, not a bit. Fun? Oh yeah! And it tastes really good. If you want the recipe that I used, look on page 53 of the Ball Blue book of Preserving and change the celery seed in the recipe to 1 tsp of cloves. It's good, I promise.

And I still have about 6 or 7 pounds of tomatoes left. I think those will just be canned chopped. The sauce just takes too long to cook down. And at 25 cents a can in the store, it isn't worth it.

Next week they should have beans and corn added to their farm store. I will be buying at least 100 ears. That should be enough...maybe...hmm, we can eat a lot of corn.

No comments:

google search

Custom Search

dream weaver stats
4OfficeCoupons